Thursday, June 5, 2008

Phony Democrats for John McCain

This morning, I heard that Hillary Clinton is expected to suspend her campaign for the presidential nomination on the Democratic ticket. So, it is with great puzzlement that I came across this website, The National Organization of Hillary Clinton Supporters for John McCain. What the hell?

My knee-jerk reaction is that this is a load of crap. From the horrible, eye-bleeding design of the website (the formatting of which, I've come to notice, is a trademark of Right-wing bullshit chain emails -- i.e., use of flashing words, all-caps, multiple and conflicting colors, and misaligned text) to the use of the phrase "Democrat party," I get the clear indication that these "Democrats" were likely not progressives ever at all.

But this also reminds me of something that happened while I was in college. The 2004 presidential election had wrapped up towards the end of the semester during my political science course on interest groups and lobbyists. My professor related a story about a student who came to him about financial aid. The rules for qualification had changed, and those changes had been made possible by the Bush administration. This student wanted to know what he could do to remedy his situation quickly, as he would now be unable to afford his education. My professor asked one question first, "Who did you vote for?" The student's answer was, "Bush." And my professor snapped.

Because my professor is a principled educator, he did eventually help this student out but not before laying into him for his voting choice. What bothered my professor so much was the fact that this student had voted for a president who was actively working against the student's best interest. My professor was amazed how an issue of such importance to this student, such as education policy, had not been on his mind when he voted.

I am similarly amazed at the idoicy that is The National Organization of Hillary Clinton Supporters for John McCain. Here we have a group of individuals who are prepared to campaign against their own interests (by supporting a candidate, John McCain, who is against most of the policies of their preferred candidate, Hillary Clinton) while also sabotaging those same interests (by planning to actively campaign against a candidate, Barack Obama, who represents many of the same policies as Hillary Clinton).

Mind-boggling.

No comments: